Category Archives: OS X

Sublime Text Font Smoothing (anti-aliasing) issues in Mountain Lion

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion, and to my astonishment, everything seemed to work just as it did before. Maybe even a little faster. That’s pretty rare for OS X point upgrades. Anyway, after looking around for a while, I finally came across a difference. Sublime Text 2 is over “smoothing” the text. And being a code editor, that’s a very bad thing. Eye-strain and all that.

Wrong:

Right:

You can see how fat the type looks. Very hard to read. A bit of googling tells me that it’s something to do with OS X identifying my non-Apple monitors, and possibly thinking they are CRTs, and using the old CRT font smoothing levels. Going into the System Pref/General leaves me wondering why Apple actually removed some of the smoothing options, and playing with whats there seems to do nothing. Instead, we have to do some terminal magic. Just open up a terminal window and enter this:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

… then restart Sublime Text. Note that the number at the end denotes which level of smoothing we want, 0 being the least, 3 being the most.

Hackintosh + Carbon Copy Cloner = Hackintosh won’t boot

The boot hard drive in my Hackintosh was slowly failing (weird clicking noises, system freezes), so I immediately found another drive and cloned it, thinking I would just be able to swap them out and keep going. Not so. The bios was just stuck at the “Verifying DMI Pool Data……” (whatever that means). It would not boot, even though CCC usually makes bootable copies for normal OSX installs.

After a little searching, I found this forum post, and ignored it, because the guy who tried to help didn’t explain what the problem actually was, and was a bit rude about it.

Instead, (without fear of screwing it up, since it’s just a clone) I mounted the drive on another computer (you can leave it in the same computer and use iBoot if you want) and used MultiBeast to reinstall EasyBeast on the drive. My very limited understanding of how EasyBeast works is that it puts another partition on the drive with the hacked EFI stuff on it, and when I cloned it, that partition was ignored.

When I put it back in the Hackintosh, it booted right into OSX.

FYI, here’s my setup:

  • GA-G31M-ES2L v2.0 Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz (overclocked to 2.6)
  • GeForce 8400GS
  • Atheros AR8131 Ethernet
  • Some generic power supply
  • 3TB worth of Sata hard drives (it is a media server after all)

And the steps I used to set it up:

  • Read this awesome blog post from TonyMacX86
  • Boot from burned CD with iBoot and MultiBeast
  • Install 10.6.0 retail
  • Update to 10.6.4, then without rebooting
  • Use MultiBeast to install EasyBeast, run MultiBeast’s permission fix scripts and reboot
  • Kext: VoodooHDA for audio (via MultiBeast)
  • Kext: NVEnabler for video (via MultiBeast)
  • Kext: AtherosL1cEthernet for ethernet (via KextHelper)

Notes:
Use System Utilities each and every time you use MultiBeast, it fixes permissions on the kexts.
I happen to have version 2.0 of the mobo, which has an Atheros ethernet chipset. Most of the others use a Realtec NIC, so don’t go nuts like me trying to make a Realtec NIC work if you don’t even have one.
I got a lot of help figuring out how to do this from InsanelyMac, the OSX86 Project, and their hardware compatability lists.