Category Archives: Hackintosh

Netflix Error n8156-6013 or n8151 on Mac OSX

Update:
It looks like the setup is a little different in Lion. In order to fix it here, I deleted the entire ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight folder, and the preference file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, then reinstalled Silverlight. It’s not a surgical, tactical strike against the evil forces of Microsoft invading my Hackintosh, it’s more of an all out nuclear attack to wipe out the enemy, then a treaty with military occupation sort of thing.

This one stumped me for a while. Apparently Microsoft Silverlight takes a hash of some of the hardware in your system and uses it when making DRM keys. Yeah, real forward thinking Microsoft. That means that if anything changes hardware-wise, your Silverlight installation is going to bark at you over anything DRM related, including Netflix, with this lovely and descriptive error message.

Since Hackintoshes change configuration pretty frequently, this problem is pretty big in our community.

Anyway, the fix is to delete the file that this DRM hash is saved in, and restart your browser.

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/mspr.hds

Hackintosh + Carbon Copy Cloner = Hackintosh won’t boot

The boot hard drive in my Hackintosh was slowly failing (weird clicking noises, system freezes), so I immediately found another drive and cloned it, thinking I would just be able to swap them out and keep going. Not so. The bios was just stuck at the “Verifying DMI Pool Data……” (whatever that means). It would not boot, even though CCC usually makes bootable copies for normal OSX installs.

After a little searching, I found this forum post, and ignored it, because the guy who tried to help didn’t explain what the problem actually was, and was a bit rude about it.

Instead, (without fear of screwing it up, since it’s just a clone) I mounted the drive on another computer (you can leave it in the same computer and use iBoot if you want) and used MultiBeast to reinstall EasyBeast on the drive. My very limited understanding of how EasyBeast works is that it puts another partition on the drive with the hacked EFI stuff on it, and when I cloned it, that partition was ignored.

When I put it back in the Hackintosh, it booted right into OSX.

FYI, here’s my setup:

  • GA-G31M-ES2L v2.0 Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz (overclocked to 2.6)
  • GeForce 8400GS
  • Atheros AR8131 Ethernet
  • Some generic power supply
  • 3TB worth of Sata hard drives (it is a media server after all)

And the steps I used to set it up:

  • Read this awesome blog post from TonyMacX86
  • Boot from burned CD with iBoot and MultiBeast
  • Install 10.6.0 retail
  • Update to 10.6.4, then without rebooting
  • Use MultiBeast to install EasyBeast, run MultiBeast’s permission fix scripts and reboot
  • Kext: VoodooHDA for audio (via MultiBeast)
  • Kext: NVEnabler for video (via MultiBeast)
  • Kext: AtherosL1cEthernet for ethernet (via KextHelper)

Notes:
Use System Utilities each and every time you use MultiBeast, it fixes permissions on the kexts.
I happen to have version 2.0 of the mobo, which has an Atheros ethernet chipset. Most of the others use a Realtec NIC, so don’t go nuts like me trying to make a Realtec NIC work if you don’t even have one.
I got a lot of help figuring out how to do this from InsanelyMac, the OSX86 Project, and their hardware compatability lists.